Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    I know it's old but I just found it. what's sad is that we are always protrayed in the same way but there is so much truth to it. I wish it was equally covered of the nice places he have here and all is not "hopeless".


    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLkc6LJmtNs&feature=related"]YouTube - O'Reilly Attacks Appalachia[/ame]
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cuuvapitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2008
    Posts
    184
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    It is really sad that the people in Appalachia can't even pronounce it properly...the town of Appalachia may pronounce it one way but the actual region and mountain range is NOT pronounced that way...another reason why all the intellectuals look down upon the region.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    Quote Originally Posted by cuuvapitt View Post
    It is really sad that the people in Appalachia can't even pronounce it properly...the town of Appalachia may pronounce it one way but the actual region and mountain range is NOT pronounced that way...another reason why all the intellectuals look down upon the region.

    The name is derived from the Apalachee Indians. Not the "Apalayshee" Indians, so it only makes since how it should be pronounced. Maybe those "intellectuals" are not as bright as they seem.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #4
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    not real sure but it has been posted before that the area's name has roots in a Native American tribe from the area that had the CH (like church) sound in the name, not sh (like ship). I could be totaly wrong but I remember seeing that one time
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    Quote Originally Posted by cuuvapitt View Post
    It is really sad that the people in Appalachia can't even pronounce it properly...the town of Appalachia may pronounce it one way but the actual region and mountain range is NOT pronounced that way...another reason why all the intellectuals look down upon the region.
    The folks in this region speak a purer less bastardized form of English than is spoken most anywhere in the world...including England. The English spoken here is more closely related to Shakespeare's English than any other dialect in the world. So, the pronunciation issue doesn't lie at the feet of the people in the mountains. Ya might want to give yourself a crash course in the history of the English language. Just because folks on the news want to pronounce a word a certain way doesn't mean that is the way the word was originally meant to be pronounced. Appalachia should be pronounced as APPLE-AT-CHA....the way folks around here say it.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    Exactly. The dialect of this area traces back to the Elizabethton era (Shakespeare's time) as far as pronunciation goes. The way the Yanks say it is more of a French pronunciation.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    Funny how folks just want to follow the herd...just to sound proper. IMO, that confirms evolution right there..lol

  8. #8
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    No, just stupidity.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    Quote Originally Posted by cuuvapitt View Post
    It is really sad that the people in Appalachia can't even pronounce it properly...the town of Appalachia may pronounce it one way but the actual region and mountain range is NOT pronounced that way...another reason why all the intellectuals look down upon the region.

    Well, according to Appalachian State University and their professors you are wrong....but what do they know?????

    This kid can learn to say it correctly, why can't you?

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olFkKyG0_iQ"]YouTube - Go Appalachian State![/ame]
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: O'Reilly attacks Appalachia

    Can't even pronounce it.............
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •